Building samba4 against system Heimdal

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu May 12 06:58:23 MDT 2011

Hi Luke,

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 18:22 +0200, Luke Howard wrote:
> I'm trying to build Samba4 against an external Heimdal because I need some fixes that are only in upstream Heimdal.
>
> Has anyone managed to do this? I took a look at the Ubuntu build but it wasn't much help, because it does not build any of the bundled libraries. I have tried the following:
>
> CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/heimdal/include"
> LIBS="-L/usr/local/heimdal/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/heimdal/lib"
>
> ./configure \
>     --bundled-libraries="!roken,!krb5,!hdb,!asn1,!heimntlm,!hcrypto,!com_err,!wind,!heimbase" \
>     --builtin-libraries=replace \
>     --enable-developer -v
>
> as well as setting {LIB,CPP}PATH_FOO for each library, but I always get the following:
>
> Checking for com_err                                                                            : 18:20:57 runner /usr/bin/gcc -MD -Idefault -I.. -Idefault -I.. -D_SAMBA_BUILD_=4 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H=1 -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 ../test.c -c -o default/test_1.o
> 18:20:57 runner /usr/bin/gcc default/test_1.o -o /Users/lukeh/CVSRoot/samba/bin/.conf_check_0/testbuild/default/testprog -lcom_err
> ok
> ERROR: System library com_err of version 0.0.0 not found, and bundling disabled
>
> Any ideas? My end-goal is to have Samba4 work with a new, third-party GSS mechanism that is loaded as a plugin by Heimdal.
Which com_err library are you using? Debian/Ubuntu use the standard
system one (which comes from e2fsprogs), and patch/configure Heimdal to
use that com_err as well.

I think I've only tested the configure check in Samba 4 to look for that
particular version of com_err (using pkg-config). Patches welcome :)

Cheers,

Jelmer