Building samba4 against system Heimdal

Luke Howard lukeh at padl.com
Wed May 11 10:22:28 MDT 2011

I'm trying to build Samba4 against an external Heimdal because I need some fixes that are only in upstream Heimdal.

Has anyone managed to do this? I took a look at the Ubuntu build but it wasn't much help, because it does not build any of the bundled libraries. I have tried the following:

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/heimdal/include"
LIBS="-L/usr/local/heimdal/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/heimdal/lib"

./configure \
    --bundled-libraries="!roken,!krb5,!hdb,!asn1,!heimntlm,!hcrypto,!com_err,!wind,!heimbase" \
    --builtin-libraries=replace \
    --enable-developer -v

as well as setting {LIB,CPP}PATH_FOO for each library, but I always get the following:

Checking for com_err                                                                            : 18:20:57 runner /usr/bin/gcc -MD -Idefault -I.. -Idefault -I.. -D_SAMBA_BUILD_=4 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H=1 -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 ../test.c -c -o default/test_1.o
18:20:57 runner /usr/bin/gcc default/test_1.o -o /Users/lukeh/CVSRoot/samba/bin/.conf_check_0/testbuild/default/testprog -lcom_err
ok
ERROR: System library com_err of version 0.0.0 not found, and bundling disabled

Any ideas? My end-goal is to have Samba4 work with a new, third-party GSS mechanism that is loaded as a plugin by Heimdal.

(Alternatively, if there is a script for importing upstream Heimdal, that would also be good.)

-- Luke