smbclient and negotiating encryption support when smb encryption is mandatory

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Tue May 10 17:10:01 MDT 2011

Connecting to Samba 3.6 with smbclient to test per-share encryption, I
noticed that smbclient worked when I specified "-e" (and does send the
required query fs unix info and set fs calls).  I don't see those
calls when -e is not specified in smbclient (so the server closes the
session after the first SMB echo is sent, presumably because it is not
encrypted) and if a querypathinfo is sent first it gets access denied.
 Why would smbclient only negotiate unix extensions when "-e" is
specified - how else would it know that "smb encryption" is mandatory?

I have "smb encryption = mandatory" under the definition for the share
in smb.conf

--
Thanks,

Steve