Reduce duplicate symbols, merge server_id

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 8 10:52:52 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 12:57 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 12:13:15PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 06:06:51PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > What I'm confused about is how this will interact with serverid.tdb.  I
> > > my proposal to use id2, it was clear that this combines with pid and vnn
> > > to form the lookup key and retrieves a unique_id.  How should this code
> > > work if there are multiple unique_id values for a given (pid, vnn)
> > > tuple?
> >
> > The question is what we want to optimize for. If we want to
> > optimize for the standard model, we could change
> > serverid.tdb to have a list of unique_ids hosted by that
> > process, expecting that list to be short. If want to
> > optimize for the single process model, we need to key off a
> > separate in-process id. Given that, you're right that we
> > might need a separate ID in struct server_id. The classical
> > time vs space tradeoff.
>
> Expanding further on your question on irc whether this is
> really a hot code path: Yes, it is. On every read and write
> request to properly implement mandatory locking we need to
> validate the brl entries that are around. It does involve
> syscalls, so the relative cost of increasing that structure
> might be negligible, but it is in the one hot code path we
> have.

Given that, and in the absence of a change to just compare the unique_id
values of the server_id, is this patch series acceptable?

http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/merge-server_id

In particular, this renames id2 -> task_id for clarity.

With these changes, we are down to 6 duplicate symbols, none of which
have an ABI difference:

d_fprintf
d_printf
d_vfprintf