samba4, samba-tool command

Theresa Halloran thallora at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu May 5 20:07:31 MDT 2011

On 5/4/2011 6:47 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 11:06 -0400, Theresa Halloran wrote:
>> On 5/3/2011 10:56 AM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>>> Should password be a thing on its own ("samba-tool password set"),
>>> rather than having it under user ("samba-tool user setpassword')? I'm
>>> not sure either way. "samba-tool password" probably has more going for
>>> it historically, but I think as a new user I would look under user.

<snip>
> I certainly think that the password should simply be a modifier on
> various objects, such as user,
Ok, i updated the table to make setpassword and changepassword actions
against the user object.....so:

user setpassword <username> <passoword>  ...etc.
&
user changepassword <username> <password> ...etc.

> and possibly join (mymachinepw ->
> 'samba-tool join show password' perhaps?).
I don't get what this would do.......are you looking for a way to
display the machine password?  (i.e. return as output the password of a
user or machine?)
>    The distinction between set
> and change password also needs to be maintained.
ok, as above.
> As to things like 'vampire', that should go away - it's the 'backup'
> method to 'net join dc' until we ensure it's not needed any more.
ok, I get this, so for now, I will leave as is.....
> ... and do watch out for this becoming the
> proverbial bike shed...
oh I hope not!!  I don't think I have that kind of patience!!!