DFS on [homes]

William E Jojo w.jojo at hvcc.edu
Wed May 4 13:27:48 MDT 2011

Howdy all,

I have a client that would like a dynamic [homes] share with users spread throughout many servers or nas devices. Seems that [homes] cannot act as a DFS root. Is this correct?

If I setup DFS root on any other share, it works as advertised. If this is a bug, I'm happy to file a report. Trying on 3.5.4 and 3.5.8 mostly.

Samba throws a NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME and Windows XP throws System error 59 (unexpected network error). Same symlinks on any other DFS root share name are perfect.

Cheers,
Bill