convert string cleanup

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Mar 29 17:53:29 MDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:40:08AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> What are your plans for cleaning up the convert_string API that you
> mentioned in your recent commit?
>
> I'm just keen to ensure we don't step on each other's toes.
>
> For my part, I'm planning to add the requested tests for the two
> convert_string implementations, using the handles in the samba4 side to
> loop over multiple combinations of unix and dos charset, and deliberatly
> using combinations of greek and ascii text to confirm both the fast and
> slow paths.

I'm converting the convert_string API's to return a bool, rather
than a size_t and return the converted_size as a size_t pointer
parameter. I'm fixing both versions simultaneously - but not
making any other changes (other than the ones needed to fix
the callers).

I'm trying to get these API's to the state where we never
use the sort of idiom:

pointer += convert_string(XXX)

where we never correctly check that convert_string can have
failed. It's not a massive change, so we shouldn't be getting
in each other's way.

Jeremy.