lib/util/charset rename iconv_convenience to iconv_handle

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 28 03:01:51 MDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 11:52 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 05:23:03AM +0100, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> > commit b5616adc8adbcee61bb670378f9c066225d9dcf3
> > Author: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
> > Date:   Fri Mar 25 08:37:00 2011 +1100
> >
> >     lib/util/charset rename iconv_convenience to iconv_handle
> >
> >     This better reflects what this structure is
> >
> >     Andrew Bartlett
>
> Does this renaming make the problem any better?

You are correct, renaming the iconv handle does not address your
concerns.  It was not the intention.

I renamed the iconv handle for the reason in the commit message, that is
that the old name was not a useful description of the structure.

> Can we discuss your plans to make Samba3 multi-locale so
> that we need this at all? If you don't plan to work on this
> seriously in the near future, please remove the dependency
> on this handle handling from Samba3.

Volker,

Would it be OK with you if:
 - except from a clearly marked 'testing' function, that the only way to
get an iconv handle in Samba is via get_iconv_handle()
 - that the pointer returned from get_iconv_handle() remains constant
over the life of the process,
 - that the pointer returned from get_iconv_handle() is at all times set
to the character sets from the last smb.conf load,
 - that source3/ is reworked such that it never directly deals with an
iconv handle and
 - for all users the internal workings of the iconv handle remains an
internal implementation detail of the character conversion library?

I think this would address your concerns, but if not can you please
detail them for me?

Thanks,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.