Regedit like GUI

Joseph Lewis joehms22 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:17:20 MDT 2011

Hi Jelmer,

Thanks for your reply, are either of these (to your knowledge) still open?
It does look like someone went through and removed the project I mentioned
before.  I assume that they can be combined to produce a more robust project
design.  I'm most interested in Python as my c/c++ is a little limited and
I'm sure you don't want it in your codebase :)
Extension of the GTK+ frontends

There are a couple of GTK+ frontends for Samba4 (see
SambaGtk<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SambaGtk>).
These are very limited at the moment but you could work on expanding them
and further integrating them with GNOME. Language: C or Python

   - Difficulty: Easy
   - Language(s): Python, perhaps C
   - Possible mentors:
JelmerVernooij<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/JelmerVernooij>

Setup / provision GUI for Samba (and OpenChange)

Setting up Samba and OpenChange currently requires running quite a lot of
command line utilities. It should be easy for even a junior system
administrator to set up Samba as a Domain Controller, RODC and general
server.

The windows equivalent tool is dcpromo.exe, and while you may not want/need
to copy it directly, it does provide a reasonable basis for establishing
what this tool should be able to provide (in terms of outcomes).

Some initial work (using PyQt4) is available at
http://gitorious.org/samba-openchange-gui-tools/samba-openchange-gui-setupbut
working with that is not essential to this task.

   - Difficulty: Easy
   - Language(s): Python
   - Possible mentors: Brad Hards, probably others.

Cheers,
   Joe

--
Public Key: [0xF8462E1593141C16]<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF8462E1593141C16>

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system
which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
- NASA