ldb_handler_fold: public or private?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Mar 21 18:03:59 MDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 08:43 -0400, simo wrote:

> Well breaking the ABI for free gain us nothing.
> I would put a comment on the function, and try to remember to turn it
> into a static the next time we make some big ABI change.
>
> Maybe we can define a macro that will do that automatically ...
> Something like:
> #if MAJORVER > X
> static
> #endif
>
> So that it will be automatically made static the next time we change ver
> even if we do not remember that, and then we can remove the if/endif
> block the first time someone notices.

Simo,

I really think this is overkill.  The function should, given the
circumstances described, be static.  If it's not in a header, then
nobody is using it (if they are, they are broken and deserve to keep
both pieces).

Are you also saying that if a function was declared in ldb_private.h,
that it also can't be removed?

Similarly, the ABI generator doesn't know that we reserve the right to
change ldb_modules.h defined functions in a minor version, because we
put an exact version check into ldb module loading.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.