Samba-3.3.8 server fails to authenticate a Windows client (when it uses "NTLMv2 Only")

Narendra Kumar S.S ssnkumar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 17:49:06 MDT 2011

I have setup a samba share and running samba server (samba-3.3.8) on a
CentOS box.
I connect to this from my Windows 7 client.
This works fine when I use NTLMv1 as authentication.
But, when I change my Windows 7 to use "NTLMv2 Only", the authentication
fails.
I saw "LOGON FAILURE" message (I don't know if I saw this message in samba
logs or Wireshark traces).

If I use a smbclient to connect and make it use NTLMv2 only, it works fine.
So, the problem is only with NTLMv2 of Windows client.

Can somebody tell me if I need to do any specific setting for using Windows
client.

Warm Regards,
Narendra

Visit my blogs at: