change to acl_read module for supporting dirsync module

Kamen Mazdrashki kamenim at samba.org
Thu Mar 10 15:55:31 MST 2011

Hi Matthieu,

Sorry I am entering this discussion so late, but I just want to share with
you my concerns about this patch.
I haven't looked in depth your 'dyrsinc' patches, so excuse my ignorance
if I am missing something :)
And thanks a lot for taking the Dyrsinc task!
(it was about time for us to support it)

My main concern is that this patch makes a subtle link between acl_read
module and dyr_sync module. I don't feel like it is the responsibility of
acl_read module to "know" we are processing another control or something.
As far as I see it, we should make our best to implement clean interfaces
between module. I mean, that it is very complex to support a filter system
like that in LDB when there are inter-dependencies between modules.

Can we avoid this somehow?
One way to avoid this is for us to mark certain attributes as INTERNAL
or SERVICE or something else (I think we have such a mechanism
introduced by abartlet and tridge with attribute flags).
What I am thinking is, that it will be easier to teach modules like acl_read
not to touch attributes with given flags, rather that teaching them how to
work in different situations.

--
CU,
Kamen