samba-tool

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Mar 9 00:46:17 MST 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 19:55 -0800, tms3 at tms3.com wrote:
> So, let me see if I understand correctly.
>
> There is NO WAY to set passwords using only Samba4, is this correct?

This is quite incorrect, and I'm sorry you have not been given the
advise you need, and that samba-tool is not yet as self-documenting as
we would desire.

The command you are after is

samba-tool setpassword

See also samba-tool pwsettings to change password expiry rules.

If you run just samba-tool, it will list it's sub-commands.

We do want to improve this, and a developer has been tasked to look at
the structure of 'samba-tool' and recommend a sensible command
structure, but they have not yet got this completed.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.