[vlendec at samba.org: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated]

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Mon Mar 7 09:13:22 MST 2011

Hi,

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:06:27PM +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
>> I think it would be nicer to have a poll specific talloced structure,
>> which contains 'int idx'.
>
> I had thought about that. But with potentially very many fd
> events I could imagine that the memory overhead becomes
> significant. Both malloc and talloc add their own headers.
> All that for a single int. Thus I opted for the union in the
> fd event. We could also add a separate additional_int there,
> but this would add overhead to the other backends.

I found that we already have the additional_flags field,
which was supposed to handle a similar thing for the epoll backend.

I think if we change it from uin16_t to uint64_t we can also
use it in the poll backend.

This way external backends like the samba-gtk code, doesn't need
any source code changes and no complex configure tests and ifdefs
to work with older and new versions.

I'd like to push this branch:
http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master3-tevent

metze