ldbadd --no-sync implications?

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 02:54:28 MST 2011

Hi

What are the implications of running ldbadd with the --no-sync option?

I'm trying to speed up a bulk creation of users, but I don't want to
cause samba to eat its LDB files :)

Also, it seems like ldbadd causes other operations to hang while it's
going on, so I assume it causes samba to take out some sort of write
lock for the duration of the ldbadd.  Is that correct?  This is with
4.0.0alpha12-GIT-77b9b97 that I'm using to try to reproduce the slow
group membership lookup problem mentioned in another post.

What's a good way to add a bunch of users in a reasonably short amount
of time while not causing other operations to be impacted too badly?
Would it help if I set up another Samba box and replicated from one to
the other?

Thanks.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>