s4: "samdb_msg_add_string" remove patchset

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mdw at samba.org
Wed Mar 2 01:36:37 MST 2011

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> The main issue I have with that patch is that the various controls and
> their use is still rather undocumented - and the use seems more like
> 'add controls until it works'.

Unfortunately the relax control messed a bit up our code - including by
contributions from my side.
> Also, controls are not the preferred way to handle this any more -
> another undocumented change that you may not be aware of is that Tridge
> and I are trying to move more of this kind of thing to per-element
> flags.  That makes it much clear which exact thing must be allowed - but
> these are only set from ldb modules at the moment.

Ah, interesting: is it possible to see a patch preview? So I could
understand better how this works.

I hope that you've nothing against if I'm only pushing this patch:
http://gitweb.samba.org/samba.git/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=35697c526dff2ff75bed4e11223cfb4f9492a9b1
(better comment).
> I just think we might need to do some more refinement on a design here.

Well, go ahead if afterwards your approach is clearer.

Thanks,
Matthias