(samba4) winbind "protocol"???

Thu Jun 30 00:37:07 MDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 04:03:54PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Sorry for being an absolute newby again, but is there any specification
> > about what calls needs a winbind implementation support (besides the
> > obvious ones resulting from the parameters of wbinfo id and getent
> > commands)?
> > I've found references to one in
> > source4/winbind/wb_samba3_protocol.c:74-206 but dunno if this is a
> > complete list, or not?
>
> That, and the header files that others have mentioned are the complete
> Samba3 protocol (as it currently stands).  Samba4 also listens on IRPC,
> which is one of the reasons we can't 'just' drop in the source3 winbindd
> implementation.  The IRPC commands are specified in
> source4/librpc/idl/winbindd.idl

Just to add something more to the mix: Günther, Simo, myself
and a few others a few days ago looked at whether it would
be worthwile to consolidate the nss_winbind and nss_sssd
implementations of the nss library. They perform the same
purpose: Translate nss calls to a unix domain socket. Right
now I'm taking a serious look at the sssd protocol for this
to be implemented in winbind. This could mean that we could
use a common nss .so implementation.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9