Do we want to support the waf build in 3.6?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 24 16:18:47 MDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 22:11 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if we want to support the (I guess incomplete) waf build
> in 3.6?
>
> I'd propose no...

Based on the work that I've just completed to make the waf build in
master have no duplicate symbols and (almost all) fully defined
libraries, I would also propose no.

It would be better and safer for users needing such functionality (the
smaller binaries in particular) to use Samba 4.0 alpha16 - the file
server codebase is almost identical, and I have much more confidence in
the waf build there.

The test I use for duplicate symbols is that there are no duplicate
symbol warnings at the end of make SYMBOLCHECK=1.

For fully defined libraries, see the changes I made in the waf build in
master yesterday:

http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=877de9fee773b3f6b5a95afe1d01001e0b1b4ff2

We need to do the same for modules (the modules should link to the main
library of the loading binary).  We also need to find a way to ensure
that there are no duplicate symbols between a binary and the modules it
loads.