solving cleanly the wrong storage of DNs on non linked attribute

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 15:19:36 MDT 2011

Hello Tridge, Andrew,

On Wednesday, you tried to push this:

+    # the way we construct the database leaves some DN links without
GUIDs. This
+    # is a easy way to fix them
+    logger.info("Fixing schema GUIDs")
+    samdb.transaction_start()
+    chk = dbcheck(samdb, verbose=False, fix=True, yes=True, quiet=True)
+    chk.check_database(DN=None, scope=ldb.SCOPE_SUBTREE,
+                       controls=["search_options:1:2"],
+                       attrs=['objectCategory',
+                              'defaultObjectCategory',
+                              'ipsecFilterReference',
+                              'ipsecISAKMPReference',
+                              'ipsecNegotiationPolicyReference',
+                              'ipsecNFAReference',
+                              'ipsecOwnersReference'])
+    samdb.transaction_commit()

So far it fails for some very strange reasons.

In anycase, I was working on my pseudobacklinks today and realized that
with my patches most of the problem for this DN would go away as I used
to have a patch for reordering the ipsec* object creation (I already did
it on other attributes like fsmo), only objectCategory and
defaultObjectCategory were left.

I realized that handling correctly this attribute was in fact very
similar to what I do with pseudobacklink attributes, that is to say when
the request for  add or update arrive on this object the value can or
can not have extended information, pretty much like the pointed DN
exists or do not exists.
When it doesn't exists we wait up to the moment when will create the
pseudobacklink (that is to say in the commit) to check if it really
exists or not (this is needed because when you replicated from another
DC, attributes that are with DN syntax but that are not linked
attributes you are not sure that the request for adding/changing the
value will come after the creation of the pointed DN ...).
So the idea is to check that if the DN (the "pseudoforwardlink" that we
are about to store), does have extended component, if not then we put
it's name, the value and the name of the object in a list and on commit
we retrieve the DN and restore it with extended DN infos.

What do you think of this ?

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou