Is %{DomainSID} sub in smb.conf used?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 01:56:53 MDT 2011

Introduced by Jerry in 9f18298beee5c6abf2cffc9e1d36da2795f4e9d6 and
described in the release notes of Samba 3.0.23 as

* Add support for the experimental %(DomainSID) smb.conf
variable.

I'm wondering if I can remove this undocumented feature, or if not I
would like to know on which parameters it is expected to operate, so I
can potentially move the substitution to the caller.

The reason I want to is that it creates a dependency between the
run-time reading of smb.conf variables (the infamous lp_string()) and
reading the secrets.tdb.

Fixing this allows me to resolve the the library loop between libsmbconf
and SECRETS3/passdb.

Andreas correctly points out that this loop originally comes from my
patch to obtain the domain sid from passdb
(25cfa29e29bdbb6c84bd85ea02ec542228ae585f), but as I would prefer to
keep that feature, I'm hoping to break the loop here instead.

My patches attached define a libsmbconf that does not depend on
secrets3, and is fully defined at build time.

Thanks,