samba.git top-level build issue (default/source3/libsmbconf.so)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 21 20:07:08 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 08:41 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 01:52 +0300, Andrew Shinkarchuck wrote:
> > Hello everyone!
> >
> > I have tried to build current samba.git tree at my Debian Lenny computer (64
> > bit - gcc 4.3.2, python 2.5.2 and so on like in default "Lenny" distro) but
> > got error at almost finish of "make" without any options to ./configure
> > besides --prefix=/usr/samba
>
> I've put a patch into the tree that should fix the issue for you.
>
> We were experimenting with using a linker option -Wl,--as-needed that
> matches the default behaviour of Gentoo.  However since we enabled the
> build of Samba3 binaries in the top level build a few weeks ago, it has
> caused problems on a number of hosts.  The exact hosts and problems
> seems to come down to library link orders, and is related to the fact
> that our implementation of build rules for this code is not finished
> (due to circular and other challenging dependency issues).
>
> I am sorry for the frustration this has caused, and we will resolve
> these properly before we re-enable this option.  Unfortunately users on
> Gentoo will continue to experience these issues until then, as this flag
> is on by default on that platform.

Andreas,

The issue here stems from libsmbconf.so not fully specifying it's
dependencies.  Can you look into this?  I know you were starting on this
with your s3-auth patches.

The attached patch will help you see the problem on your system.
Eventually all Samba3 libraries and modules will need this flag set
(removing the special case that makes those SAMBA3 waf rules).

Thanks,