Proposed paths for Samba 4.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 14 22:52:59 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 12:03 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Attached is a patch to implement a new set of default paths for Samba
> 4.0
>
> The challenge here is that the Samba4 branch historically chose a
> different set of default paths to the release branches, and this needs
> to be resolved before we release Samba 4.0
>
> The approach I have taken is:
>
>  - Users who install from source should keep key files in the same
> places as 3.6

> Does anyone have any comments?

After comments from Simo on IRC about /var/lock being a ramdisk in the
future on Fedora, I attach the following additional proposals.

Moving the default for PREFIX/var/locks is harder, because of the state
files that are found there, but where a distributor has already moved
that directory (--with-statedir), everything should keep working fine.