SMB2 not used with \\server\share but with \\server.domain\share

Gerhard Wiesinger lists at wiesinger.com
Mon Jun 13 07:35:10 MDT 2011

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 21:43 +0200, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011, Zombie Ryushu wrote:
> Firstly, to limit confusion, there is no such thing as SMBX.  But the
> fact that all traffic is on port 445 is promising, as it has already
> been found that windows refuses SMB2 traffic on port 139 (at least in
> some situations):
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-February/076394.html
>
> As to why a client would simply not choose SMB2 when connected to 445
> and available, that is a mystery that we may need to ask Microsoft
> about.

I was afraid of that answer because I think one can forget it asking (or
do you have some good contacts to Microsoft?).

> In any case, Volker is your best resource here, as he is one of the
> Samba Team's most experienced developers, particularly as regards our
> SMB and SMB2 implementations.

At
http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-disable-smb-2-on-windows-vista-or-server-2008.htm
I found:
1.) Disabling SMB2 (but not SMB1)
2.) Here's how SMB is used when related to SMB versions: When a Windows
Server 2008/Vista "client" connects to a Windows 2000/XP/2003 "server",
SMB 1.0 is used. Maybe \\server\share indicates/implies "old" 2000/XP/2003
style.

Thnx.

Ciao,
Gerhard