[Release Planning 3.6.] 3.6.0 final on June 21?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jun 13 06:09:55 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 20:18 +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> Samba 3.6.0rc2 is out and hopefully, the next 3.6 release will be the
> final version.
>
> I would like to schedule it for June 21, if there are no objections.
> Please note that this would mean:
> - NO PATCHES AFTER JUNE 14
> - no commit messages that contain the words "add", "support" and "for" in
>   a row!
> - This is the last chance for release note changes.

Attached is my proposed release notes for the deprecated security
parameters.  Sorry for not doing this at the time that the changes went
in.

> Currently, there are 2 showstoppers I am aware of:
> - 8214: printer driver upgrade fails, causing smbd to not exit on
>   startup
> - 8196: Many (newer) header files don't have copyright / GPL header
>   comments
>
> If there additinal blockers, please mark them as blockers.

I've added and additional blocker to remove some Samba4-specific files
to discourage building Samba4 from 3.6, and in particular to avoid folks
finding a Makefile and ./configure in the top level that does not build
Samba 3.6

'make test' still builds Samba4 for smbtorture with this patch, as it
has it's own way of running waf.

Thanks for all the hard work handling the release!