Samba4 AD initial success, updates and a problem

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 9 16:47:22 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 14:31 -0400, Bob Cavey wrote:
> Samba team,
>
>  Awesome job so far with Samba4 ( currently running alpha14 on a RedHat 6.1
> workstation system )  and for what you refer to as alpha code.... I'm
> impressed.  I followed the HowTo on the wiki to setup a standalone AD Server
> and all is OK except that I can't create a group and a user with the same
> name ( I get and error about the Pre-Windows 2000 object already exists )
> via a Windows 7 machine running the AD for users and computers snapin.
> Shouldn't this be possible?

You can't create groups and users of the same name.

> Also, for the Howto wiki page, I have updates for additional SELinux
> contexts were needed to get everything working i.e. running/talking with DNS
> and NTP.  Should I just post it here or do you have a wiki maintainer(s)
> that I should pass along the information?

Neither.  Please make a wiki account, and let met know it's username.
I'll ensure you have the rights to change the wiki - we restrict edits
because otherwise it fills with spam.

> Anyone working on or know of a samba4.spec to build on RedHat rather than
> using source builds?  If not I might take a crack at putting one together
> one day.

I wrote one, which ended up being in Fedora (but a cut-down one, as they
just want the libs for OpenChange).

> Any timeframe on when you'll drop the alpha status?

The current plans are that Samba 4.0 is the next scheduled release.  We
may still have some cautionary language on the AD functionality,
certainly the 'alpha' tag will go at that point.