World IPv6 Day

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Thu Jun 9 01:10:05 MDT 2011

Hi Trever,

 > Should Samba4 automatically be grabbing the new addresses and doing a
 > dnsupdate? It seems so, and it isn't.
 >
 > If it isn't, what entries do I need to create?

As Kai mentioned, Samba4 gained IPv6 support this week.

One thing that won't be automatically updated if you install the new
version is the dns_update_list file in your private directory. You'll
need to add AAAA entries like this:

AAAA                                                     ${DNSDOMAIN} $IP
AAAA                                                     ${HOSTNAME} $IP

as currently it only has 'A' entries. This file is the template that
samba_dnsupdate uses to determine what to add to DNS, so it needs
updating for IPv6, but its not part of 'make install'.

Cheers, Tridge