Remove 'time offset' for Samba 4.0?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 7 23:04:49 MDT 2011

I've been looking over the parameter list, as I work to merge (or at
least connect) the two loadparm systems.

I came across 'time offset', noticing that it's the only loadparm
variable that isn't set into the parameter structures (globals or
share).

I've also been trying to reduce the implied dependencies between our
base libraries and loadparm, as each needs to be handled carefully
(particularly when loaded as a library).

It seems to me that on modern networks, if clients don't have correct
clocks and DST offsets, that many other things (Kerberos) start to fail
pretty quickly, and time and DST tables tend to be internet delivered
anyway.

I can change this into a special handler, but I wanted to ask others
with more insight into our productions users: do we need to continue to
support this?

Thanks,