[Samba] On Samba4

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Tue Jun 7 12:37:46 MDT 2011

On 07/06/2011 19:12, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM,<titantoppler at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd be most happy to answer any questions you may have, though fair warning:
>> my version of Samba is kind of outdated (alpha 12), so what worked for me
>> might not work for you.
>>
>        Well, I am ashamed to say I too am running right now alpha 12
> because that is what came in ubuntu 10.10. So, hopefully I should be
> able to duplicate your stuff ;)
Well I could just recommend you not to do so, there is more recent packages:
https://launchpad.net/~samba-team/+archive/ppa

I would really advocate to follow them or even better to get a very
recent and build your own .deb based on the ppa package.
Alpha 12 is _really_ old now, you'll miss a lot of new features like
protected storage, dirsync, and a lot of bug fixes on replication, on
password management and fixes on scalability (serving more than 1 LDAP
request at a time ...).

>> I'm not too familiar with offloading the DNS service to another computer; as
>> you may have surmised, my setup has the DNS on the Samba server. I think the
>> main thing about having a DNS server is getting it to accept updates from
>> clients (dynamic DNS updates for browsing).
>>
>        Right now my "normal" DNS server can do the dynamic dns updates.
> I am, however, wondering which other things I need to provide. For
> instance, I would expect stuff like netbios-node-type and
> netbios-name-servers can be provided by my current dhcp server without
> hurting the samba4 AD behaviour. I could be wrong...
So offloading DHCP on another server is not a problem at all, when it
comes to DNS it's more problematic although you can cope with it.
Why not creating a sub domain for your AD realm ? (ie. ad.mycompany.com).

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org