Logging in make test

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 1 16:46:57 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 10:04 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to revert commit ea95e0967b33d75acc960b5308a667e956ba4f29.
>
> If we log to stdout we loose a lot of information in Samba3 like filename,
> line of code, function name and especially the *time and date*. The logs are
> more or less useless. If you have multiple daemons it is more or less not
> possible to read the log correctly.
>
> http://git.samba.org/?p=asn/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=886ca981b27324157e492925e598b5f4b9c09574

The reason this change was made is that Samba otherwise logs
to /usr/local/samba (or whatever the prefix is) during startup of make
test, and that's not a good idea.

If our stdout logging isn't useful for a developer, then it probably is
equally useless for our end users and then we need to fix that.

Also, using a predicable filename also makes it possible for the
selftest system to capture the server-side logs of a failing test.  (See
getlog_env() in selftest/target/Samba4.pm and
selftest/target/Samba3.pm).  This wasn't done properly in the past.