[MAC Lion] smbclient "Open AndX Request->STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED"

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Jul 30 13:45:08 MDT 2011

George,

I do not believe that Windows98 will be impacted by this.  I should get a
trace to confirm, but when writing [MS-CIFS] we would not have marked
SMB_COM_OPEN_ANDX as "Deprecated" if it was still used by Windows98SE and
above.  We only marked a command "Deprecated" if Windows clients--starting
with W98SE and NT3.51--no longer used it.

It was a couple of years ago, so my memory has faded a bit, but we *should*
have tested W98SE and NT3.51 *and* checked the source to verify that they
would not use that command if they had negotiated "NT LM 0.12".  We were
pretty dang thorough, so if we *should* have checked the command, we
probably did.

Chris -)-----
...who no longer has any W98SE test platforms running.