[MAC Lion] smbclient "Open AndX Request->STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED"

Fri Jul 29 02:42:08 MDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 01:29:15AM -0700, okmanoj wrote:
> Dear Samba Team,
>
> Currently I am testing samba (smbclient) operation with  and MAC Lion.
>
> I tried  smbclient "\\\\ipaddressofmac\sharedfolder" (with full permission
> for shared folder)
>
> When I tried "put" command in smbclient prompt, SMB returned
> "NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED" for "Open AndX Request", Please see
> "MACLionvsSamba-3.5.5-68.fc14.pcap"
>
> However When I copying file with windows to MAC Lion I am not able to see
> "Open AndX Request" however I can see"NT Create AndX Request" and file copy
> succeeded Please see "winvsLion.pcap".
>
> I have also attached smbclient loglevel 100 Please see "smblog100-III.log"
>
> Please help me understanding this problem.
>
> I have also uploaded logs in below path
> http://www.box.net/shared/eam8qp31sd3m76s0kuu4

This looks like Lion does not support the SMB requests
smbclient uses. Open&X is a perfectly valid way to open a
file, albeit a bit outdated. Apple seems to have decided
that smbclient is not a valid client to support anymore.

In the future, it might be possible that we can convert
smbclient to use ntcreate&x to open files, but this will not
help you with current releases.

Please talk to your Apple support about this issue.

Thanks,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9