Group Policy not working + other problems

James Rhodes jrhodes at redpointsoftware.com.au
Mon Jul 18 01:55:39 MDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM, James Rhodes
<jrhodes at redpointsoftware.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org> wrote:
>> On 17/07/2011 14:42, James Rhodes wrote:
>>>
>>> smb.conf:http://codepad.org/WmjkASIa
>>> ldbsearch output:http://codepad.org/JokbT5mn
>>>
>>> Judging from the output of ldbsearch, the computer object is MAIN$
>>> (which fits in with the intended main.redpoint.int), while Samba 4
>>> seems to be looking for REDPOINT$.  This looks like it might be tying
>>> into the Kerberos querying problem above.
>>
>> Your config is quite strange I don't know where you get it.
>>
>> A config from a provision should look like:
>> [global]
>>    server role = domain controller
>>    workgroup = MATWS
>>    realm = home.matws.net
>>    netbios name = ARES
>>    private dir = /home/mat/workspace/samba/homematwsnet/private
>>    lock dir = /home/mat/workspace/samba/homematwsnet
>>
>> So I would recommand to change the netbios name from REPOINT to MAIN (as it
>> seems to be in your config) and to add realm= repoint.int in the config
>> file.
>
> I think originally I had a smb.conf file from a provision when the
> realm was roket-internal.int (way back before Alpha 13 that was
> though) and so I just used what was generated in that one to work out
> how to construct the smb.conf after I generated a new provision for
> redpoint.int (it was likely I just used the existing smb.conf because
> I wanted to keep all of my shares, not thinking about the [global]
> section at all).
>
> So anyway, this fixed the SPN update issue, but the Group Policy is
> still not working, with the output still being:
>
> Kerberos: TGS-REQ james-pc$@REDPOINT.INT from ipv4:192.168.1.84:59505
> for LDAP/redpoint.redpoint.int/redpoint.int at REDPOINT.INT [renewable,
> forwardable]
> Kerberos: Searching referral for redpoint.redpoint.int
> Kerberos: Server not found in database:
> LDAP/redpoint.redpoint.int/redpoint.int at REDPOINT.INT: no such entry
> found in hdb
> Kerberos: Failed building TGS-REP to ipv4:192.168.1.84:59505
>
> Now I'm not sure whether it's the Samba 4 server generating the
> "LDAP/redpoint.redpoint.int/redpoint.int at REDPOINT.INT" string or
> whether it's my PC as it requests Group Policy (but you guys will know
> the answer to this).

Actually Group Policy is now working on a machine that I just booted,
so I'm going to assume that it's simply a matter of time (either by
rebooting machines or cache timeouts) before Group Policy starts
working across all of them again.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Regards, James Rhodes.