Samba4 "REWRITE: list servers not implemented" / No ADMIN$ Share / No AD DC

Ted Salmon tass2001 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 17 13:37:41 MDT 2011

So I got it to work! I had to reinstall the OS and compile Samba 4.0 while Samba 3.5.8 was still installed.
It was kind of wonky at first until I uninstalled 3.5.8 then everything kind of works. I still am receiving the following error though:

root at NETS2-TEST:~# smbclient -L 127.0.0.1 -UAdministrator
Unknown parameter encountered: "announce as"
Ignoring unknown parameter "announce as"
Password for [SMBNETWORK\Administrator]:

        Sharename       Type       Comment
        ---------       ----       -------
        netlogon        Disk
        sysvol          Disk
        IPC$            IPC        IPC Service
REWRITE: list servers not implemented

And :
root at NETS2-TEST:~# net server domain -UAdministrator
Ignoring unknown parameter "server role"
Enter Administrator's password:

Enumerating servers in this domain or workgroup:

        Server name          Server description

Interesting how it's not showing a DC yet I can join/manage the AD *shrug*.

Thanks for your support!