Proposed paths for Samba 4.0

Luk Claes luk at debian.org
Tue Jul 12 10:59:13 MDT 2011

On 07/12/2011 06:44 PM, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Am 23.06.2011 12:06, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:

>>> Here's my branch...
>>>
>>> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master4-dynconfig

>> I look forward to seeing the details.
>>
>> One concern that I have is that we are back to having
>> users/distributions able to specify very many individual paths.
>>
>> If we want uniform behaviour from our users and distributors, then it
>> would be worth reducing the number of things that they can set, and that
>> we have to test.  That's why I did --with-sockets-dir for example, which
>> allows us to add more sockets without adding more parameters that
>> distributions have to keep up with.
>
> Ok, I've removed some of the options again.
>
> I'd propose the following patches.

> -    'with-lockdir'                        : [
'${LOCALSTATEDIR}/lock', 'where to put short term disposable state files' ],
> -    'with-cachedir'                       : [
'${LOCALSTATEDIR}/cache', 'where to put cache files' ],
> +    'with-lockdir'                        : [
'${LOCALSTATEDIR}/locks', 'where to put short term disposable state
files' ],
> +    'with-cachedir'                       : [
'${LOCALSTATEDIR}/locks', 'where to put cache files' ],

In a distribution ${LOCALSTATEDIR} would typically be /var. /var/lock
and /var/cache seem very sane to me, though /var/locks would be a new
directory, so would mean we have to change both defaults in any case...

All the socket dirs, we probably move to (some subdir of) /run in the
future.

Cheers

Luk