Success with Samba4

Alex Hieronymi alex at stpaulmonroe.net
Sun Jul 10 22:21:54 MDT 2011

As per the Samba4/howto page, here's some information surrounding my
success with Samba 4-alpha17-GIT-8083849.  My apologies if this is too
verbose || not strictly technical.

Over the past several months I have been looking for an alternative to
run in place of a Windows PDC for a small school.  Unfortunately, their
current PDC/File/Print server is on its last legs, and finding
replacement hardware would be painfully expensive.  Thankfully I was
given a "phased-out" PC from the company I work for, and therefore, had
one of the two pieces to the solution.

I have worked with Samba before (I run it on my home file server), and
had read that there was some development toward Samba as a PDC.  I was
already running Samba on another server on the premises (allowing a
Debian GNU/Linux box to act as a domain member server).  In addition,
I've been trying to minimize the costs associated with use proprietary
software, given the very limited budget available.  Samba, along with
the multitude of other open-source software provides an awesome solution
for such a scenario.

After a few weeks of testing, I found that Samba4-alpha was actually
quite stable, and seemed suitable to act as the second part of this
solution.  This past week, I built-up that "phased-out" PC with Debian
6, installed VirtualBox, and built-up a VM with Debian 6 and Samba4.  I
created the domain and active directory structure with no problems.  My
only issue with the setup was how to properly configure DHCP with 2
domains (allowing proper registration, etc...), which isn't very
relevant to samba itself.

While testing Samba4, I found that some permission directives found in
Samba3's smb.conf were not entirely implemented yet.  A quick glace into
the source4 files proved this to be the case.  To get around this, I had
setup a second VM running Samba3.5.

Barring one issue (unrelated to Samba), I will have the new PDC / File
servers in production next week, running as follows:

    + Samba4 = PDC
    + Samba3.5 = File server

Both Samba3.5 and Samba4 have been running for a week, with nightly
backups running over scp.  These are both great products, and I look
forward for all future development work.  That being said, I myself am a
C programmer, and will be looking through the TODO list for any work I
can contribute.

Once again, thanks very much,
-Alex Hieronymi