Provision with DNS data in AD (was Re: samba4 and libdlz_bind9.so)

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Sun Jul 10 11:39:01 MDT 2011

Hi,

Attached is the current state of my patch, which creates and uses
DomainDNSZones and ForestDNSZones containers at provision if the domain
level is 2008 or greater. According to my tests the creation and use of
this containers is independent of the domain (or forest level) (I've
created and destroyed four 1 domain forests on a Win2008R2 server wit
functionality levels: 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2008r2 and the only
difference was, that from 2003 to 2008r2 it also created
CN=RootDNSServers,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDNSZones with the same
content as CN=RootDNSServers,CN=MicrosoftDNS,CN=System), so it seems,
that the DomainDNSZones and ForestDNSZones containers presence depends
more from the os version than the domain or forest level. However since
provision doesn't use any os_version like variables and not willing to
create one I've coupled my os_version variable with the domain_level
used by the provision script.

The patch is still incomplete (and POSSIBLY BUGGY) I hadn't time to test
it yet. I still need (at least) to create the entries under
DC=_msdcs,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDNSZones.

Unfortunately I'll be offline for the next 10 days, so please be patient
with me (which doesn't mean) that I'm not open to criticism ;-)
Still need to better understand the structures used by RPC, maybe the
functions used by different parts of the provisioning.

In the meantime it would be very helpful if someone could give me some
examples how to read the data from an ndr encoded structure (I couldn't
figure out how to use ndr_unpach() and ndr_print() :-(  )

Thanks

Cheers

Geza