samba4 and libdlz_bind9.so

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Fri Jul 8 01:57:15 MDT 2011

On 2011-07-08 08:45, Gémes Géza wrote:

Hi Gémes,

> IMHO the aim to mimic the AD behavior of W2Kx would suggest to use a
> location which matches the W2Kx DNS servers,

Yes. The location I chose was based on the existing setup for the root
server records, which in turn use the win2k3 location.

> so I suggest to modify the
> location used by the new DNS server to
> CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones.

I disagree. Step one is to get something that works. The next step would
be to make the provision code put stuff into different locations based
on the forest level. This seems to be a generic thing, so maybe one of
the other developers who has some cycles to spare can fix that.

> Anyway in the source4/dns_server
> directory I've found only one reference to CN=System path in dns_utils.c:122

The s4-internal DNS server just filters for "objectClass=dnsNode", so
it'll pick up dnsNode records in both locations. Which nicely explains
why it works for the win2k3 style location we're now provisioning but
also with win2k8 style data replicated over from a win2k8 dc. (That is,
apart from trying to find the SOA record for the domain, which is what
dns_utils.c:122 does.)

Anyway, the attached patch should fix the issue for now.

HTH,
Kai

--
Kai Blin