samba4 and

Kai Blin kai at
Thu Jul 7 16:47:15 MDT 2011

Hash: SHA1

On 2011-07-07 20:10, Denis Cardon wrote:

Hi Denis,

> thanks a lot for your patches Kai. I pulled out the git master branch
> this afternoon, compiled merrily, provisioned eagerly, and there are
> indeed DNS entries which looks quite fine in the
> cn=MicrosoftDNS,cn=System,<base_dn> ldap branch. Great!
> However, I still couldn't resolve dns entries. Looking at samba4 debug
> trace, it seems that it is looking at
> dn=CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,<base_dn> for dnsZone, and not in
> the cn=MicrosoftDNS,cn=System,<base_dn> where the entries have been
> created.

Ah, that's actually not my fault (tm). While creating the patches, I
decided that I'd put the DNS records into
cn=MicrosoftDNS,cn=System,<base_dn> where the root server entries
already were living. This seems to match what win2k3 is doing as well.

Myself, I've mainly done these patches because I'm working on an
implementation of DNS within samba4 itself and my tests using that code
worked just fine. I haven't actually tried this with the dlz module for
bind. Switching the s4 DNS implementation to also use the dlz module is
on my todo list.

> Moreover, looking at an existing MS AD install, the forward dns entries
> where actually in the dn=CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,<base_dn> and
> it seems to me that it should be in a separate partition.

cn=CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,<base_dn> is what I've also seen
used by my win2k8dc server, but as I said, I went for consistency with
the other records. I'll give the dlz module a look once I get around to
that, fixing it to use another base when looking for dnsZones should be
pretty easy.


- -- 
Kai Blin
Worldforge developer
Wine developer
Samba team member
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -


More information about the samba-technical mailing list