How to secure nmbd transactions?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Jul 7 12:41:16 MDT 2011

Vijaya,

Short answer:  No, it's not possible to secure those messages.

Medium answer:  You could completely disable the NBT transport protocol.
That would prevent the messages in question from being sent.

Long answer:  You could, in theory, develop a protocol that would encrypt
those messages, but all participating nodes would need to implement the new
encrypted protocol or it would be fairly pointless.  I cannot imagine anyone
being willing to implement such a protocol in their products.

The only other suggestions I have are these:

1) Read my book:  http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/
   It provides a detailed description of both the NBT transport protocol
   and the workings of the Browse Service.

2) If you really, really want to run NBT transport and really, really want
   to encrypt it, create an OpenVPN virtual private network between all
   participating nodes.  Use the tap interface, so that you have a virtual
   LAN configuration, and run all NBT and SMB traffic within the VPN.
   Note that this would require specifically binding NBT transport to the
   tap interfaces and *not* to any other interfaces.

   All participating nodes would have access to the information, but nodes
   not in the VPN would be excluded.  It will take a good deal of work to
   set this up correctly.

That'd be my best advice.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org