ccan code breaks older build farm systems

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Jul 7 05:54:40 MDT 2011

Hi Rusty,

my first misconception was that I thought you had added the ccan
code to samba proper. In that case it is simply our policy to add
the copyright / license boilerplate commentes to the code files.

It was not clear to me that the ccan code is considered external
contributed code whose authoritative copy is not inside the samba
code.

Anyhow, since you added the ccan code so that it is directly linked
to virtually all samba3 binaries via the LIB_OBJ collection in
source3/Makefile.in, to my understanding, you need to relicense
the LGPL files to GPLv3:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility

It says, it is OK to include the LGPLv3 code into the GPlv3+
project if you relicense the copy of LGPLv3+ code that is
included in samba under GPLv3.

Generally, I think we should make it more clear in our code tree which
code is original samba code and which is external contributed code.

I think we should not put such external code directly under lib/
but add a contrib/ folder (or similar) to contain externally
contributed code.

Cheers - Michael

PS: as for cluttering the code: I think it is generally very
worthwile to add copyright / license boilerplates to any
piece of code, however small. You can use folding in your
editor to hide it. (Which is what I do.)