ccan code breaks older build farm systems

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Jul 7 05:35:18 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 14:25 +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:

> > > Does anyone have suggestions to add?  If not, I'll update the ccan
> >
> > Please add the full GPL header to the files.
>
> Sorry, htable is the only one which is GPL.  hash is public domain.  The
> rest are LGPL:

If htable is used in tdb2 that's a problem.
Tdb and Ldb are LGPLv3 in samba and GPLv2 is incompatible with LGPLv3.
The only way to coherently release Ldb for us would be to release it as
GPLv3 (the only license compatible with both LGPLv3 and GPLv2 (by the
'or any later version' clause) at the same time. But we already have
external programs that depend on a LGPL like license for Ldb.

We need to fix this problem asap.

> array_size/_info: * License: LGPL (2 or any later version)
> asearch/_info: * License: LGPL
> build_assert/_info: * License: LGPL (2 or any later version)
> cast/_info: * License: LGPL
> compiler/_info: * License: LGPL (3 or any later version)
> endian/_info: * License: LGPL (2 or any later version)
> hash/_info: * License: Public Domain
> htable/_info: * License: GPLv2 (or later)
> ilog/_info: * License: LGPL (v2 or later)
> likely/_info: * License: LGPL (2 or any later version)
> str/_info: * License: LGPL (2 or any later version)
> tally/_info: * License: LGPL (3 or any later version)
> typesafe_cb/_info: * License: LGPL (2 or any later version)
>
> I could fork them and turn them all GPLv3, but that means we can't merge
> changes back into CCAN.  That's not very friendly.
>
> We could put a note about the different licenses if you want.
>
> Please, does anyone have a better reason to put a 25 line header on each
> file which contains so little useful information?  Better than "that's
> what we've always done?".

Do you have a good reason not to ? :-)

Simo.

--