64 bit install Python

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jan 31 04:51:08 MST 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 13:31 -0500, Scott Carradice wrote:
> When installing samba on a 64 bit machine ( Opensuse 11.3 ) the python
> portion seems to split up into lib and lib64.  Python seems to be able
> to use one directory so my fix so far is just to copy all of the lib64
> directory into the lib directory.  Is there a more correct solution at
> this time?

The issue is that installmisc.sh in Samba4 rewrites:

sys.path.insert(0, "bin/python")
into
sys.path.insert(0, "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages")

This means that the 64 bit files are now not found on a fresh install.

We need to fix installmisc.sh to be written in python itself, or for it
to be folded into the waf rules.  Then we can create a more sensible
pattern match for fixing the scripts, that doesn't rely on lowest common
denominator sed, and can insert both paths.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.