Release 4.0 after 3.6?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Jan 28 15:13:57 MST 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 08:02:32AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> If we decide that there 'might be' a 3.7 release, and that this release
> will be made from master, then there is simply no reason that we won't
> make a 3.7 release.  There will be many great features I'm sure, and it
> is a very easy default path to take.

IMHO if we need to do a 3.7 release (which I sincerely hope doesn't
happen) we would need to branch from v3-6-test, not from master.
Master needs to be prepared for a 4.0.0 release, until we branch
off v4-0-test, when master will become the template for a 4.1.0
release :-).

> The downside is that if we chose this path, there will never be a Samba
> 4.0 release, because given the conditions that the team has agreed (that
> the release be an integrated whole), there will be no time or place to
> perform that integration.

Not strictly true (IMHO). A 3.7.0 release would be an admission
of failure though.

> I've done some of that work in the past, and I'm willing to do that work
> in the future.  But as a team we need to agree that we want to release
> Samba 4.0 as more than just a 'sometime' project.

+1 from me.

> On the homepage of SambaXP http://www.samba.xp.de/index.php?id=14 I was
> intrigued and excited to see John announcing the impending release of
> the Samba Directory Server.  I'm exited to be part of that - but we also
> need to commit to actually getting there, and part of that commitment is
> that we can't continue business as usual.  Many people including
> yourself have put time and effort into merging the codebases, and we
> need to commit to finishing that effort, so our users who we ultimately
> serve can finally see a 4.0 release.

We're paddling as fast as we can in this canoe :-).

Jeremy.