kill security=share and security=server

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jan 27 12:35:45 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 02:06:12PM -0500, simo wrote:

> maybe we can force downgrade max protocol to smb1 if we find that
> security = share is set, instead ?
>
> And complain in the logs. This way if someone wants to use smb2 they
> will know they have to stop using security = share
>
> It may be a compelling reason for people to finally change their conf to
> get rid of security = share and is completely backwards compatible as
> they keep using the same protocol they were using before, so whatever
> was working before still works the same way.

But if security=share becomes an alias for security=user with
map to guest=bad user then why are we forcing them to edit
a text file ?

We've already silently fixed their problem for them..

I'm a big fan of zero-change configuration. Anything we can
do to make us easier to use without compromising speed etc.
(i.e. I'll revert the "strict allocate" change :-) we should
do (IMHO).

Jeremy.