kill security=share and security=server

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jan 27 10:47:53 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 07:30:53AM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 03:55:23PM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > Ok, here's a patch to expunge SEC_SHARE from the world :-).
> >
> > Internally maps inside loadparm.c.
> >
> > Untested (but currently under test :-). Please comment !
>
> I vote against this. With a 4.0 release, yes, but not with a
> minor 3.x release.

Ok, fine by me.

> Also, implicitly mapping sec=share to sec=user in SMB2 just
> adds to the mess. Can we please remove that?

I don't think we can do that. It allows people to move
to SMB2 simply by adding "max protocol = SMB2" and no
other changes. Remember we'll probably end up making
"max protocol = SMB2" the default, so we need to ensure
that existing smb.conf files will upgrade and work
without change.

What is the problem with the mapping ? We already
had a bug report because it wasn't done completely
(and someone using security=share wanted to test
SMB2). I don't see why having the mapping causes a
problem.

Jeremy.