[Release Planning 3.6] Samba 3.6.0pre2

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Jan 26 17:09:10 MST 2011

Hi Karo,

Karolin Seeger wrote:
> Hi Micha,
>
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 09:25:25PM +0100, Michael Adam wrote:
> > Karolin Seeger wrote:
> > > @Developers: Are there any features/changes that should be mentioned in
> > > the release notes?
> >
> > I am currently preparing a few patches for finishing up my idmap
> > rewrite (after waiting for feedback on the lists for some time)
> > and need to add 1 or 2 things in the release notes.
> > I planned to finish that this week. Is that sufficient?
>
> ping :-)

pong.

So much about plans... =/

Sorry: I got delayed again and again.
I did some commits but not all that I intended.

Thanks for all your patience!

I am currently writing a couple of cleanups and finishing
strokes for the idmap rewrite. And release note entries.
Should I commit them (whatsnew lines) directly to master/v3-6-test?

And since I did not yet manage to have patches ready to accompany
my mail, let me raise the following point here:
I would like to suggest a radical but very consistent subsequent
change to idmapping that will get rid of the old and often
confusing configuration that keeps questions popping up on the
mailing lists and in bugzilla because it creates an illusion of
a backwards compatibility that is in many cases deceiving.

It is to late for me right now to write down the details.
I will send a follow-up mail soon.

Cheers - Michael