kill security=share and security=server

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jan 26 15:05:53 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 07:50:21AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> I fully support removing security=share over SMB2, and furthermore, I
> would like to see it marked as deprecated even on smb1 so we can
> eventually remove it.
>
> If we are trying not to break existing configurations, then we can have
> the deprecated parameter this force the max protocol=smb1.
>
> There are other ways (map to guest etc) to get what almost all sane
> users of security=share does.  It is also not compatible (we make it
> almost work with kludges) with NTLMv2, which we are trying to move to.

So right now in the code, for SMB2 if you have "security = share",
internally we convert this to:

security = user
map to guest = bad user

So we actually *have* gotten rid of "security = share"
internally in this case for all practical purposes,
we just don't error out the smb2 connection if someone
set "security = share" in their smb.conf.

Does this work for everyone ? Should we do the same
for SMB1 in 3.6.0 ? That would remove the actual code
complexity for "security = share" whilst still allowing
old smb.conf's to work.

Jeremy.