Dependencies for samba4?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at vernstok.nl
Sat Jan 22 13:30:18 MST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 18:36 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> I'm using Arch Linux, and maintain a PKGBUILD (Arch terminology for a
> set of instructions to produce a package) for samba4.
>
> Recently some users reported that my PKGBUILD did not work, after some
> testing I realized that samba4 requires docbook-xsl (which samba3 did
> not).
>
> Is there a list somewhere of dependencies for samba4? The HOWTO on
> wiki.samba.org suggests acl, xattr, blkid, gnutls, readline, and python
> are dependencies, but docbook-xsl is not mentioned.
Only python is a hard dependency. The others are optional.

> Perhaps its not a
> 'hard' dependency since man pages aren't normally considered integral,
> but compiling tdb still fails even though the libxlst test returns 'no'.
By default xsltproc will simply get those stylesheets from the web. The
only thing docbook-xsl should do is allow xsltproc to find a local copy
of them, so you can build without a network connection.

> For references, here's a user's build log.
> http://aur.pastebin.com/FmsMLh7A
Please paste inline. :-) I'm offline at the moment so I have no idea
what that build failure is.

> Line 14 says xsltproc isn't found, but line 51 shows build failure
> (doesn't turn up when docbook-xsl is installed).
docbook-xsl should always be an optional dependency. If it's not
installed we should be loading the stylesheets from the web.

Cheers,

Jelmer