Samba 4 - very long login time on Windows 7

fatman fatman at crackmonkey.us
Wed Jan 19 15:02:09 MST 2011

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:05:05 -0700
samba-technical-request at lists.samba.org wrote:

> From: Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org>
> To: samba-technical at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: Samba 4 - very long login time on Windows 7
> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:29:43 +0300
>
> On 18/01/2011 21:30, fatman at crackmonkey.us wrote:
> > On both systems, Event Viewer shows event IDs 6005 and 6006
> > each occurring twice during login.
>
> Try to add this
> host msdfs = yes in the [default] section of your smb.conf it will
> activate the DFS referral support from Samba4 if it didn't help
> please provide us tcpdump traces between your s4 server and your
> client (1 is sufficient). See
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets for how to make a
> trace.
>
> Matthieu.

Thanks Matthieu.

I've added "host msdfs = yes" to the [global] section of my smb.conf,
which I suspect you meant. I tried adding a [default] section and samba
complained when I started it, so I put it in [global] and it didn't
complain again.

I've tried logging out and logging in on one of the workstations. I
tried rebooting and logging in again. No joy - still the 10 minute
login. "host msdfs" doesn't seem to have helped. Unless I need to
reboot the server for some odd reason?

Now I'll get a tcpdump trace.

Regards,
Adam J Richardson