Migrate from shadow to S4

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 00:02:29 MST 2011

On 19 January 2011 04:35, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 16:51 -0500, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Is there any way to do a migration of passwords from a UNIX /etc/shadow
>> file into Samba 4?
>
> The different password encryption schemes mean that, just as with
> migration from shadow to Samba3, this just isn't possible.
>
> Sorry,

Would it be possible with a custom PAM module that gets the password,
verifies it against the shadow file and then sets it in Samba and then
keeps track of which ones have been migrated so as not to try this
again for users that have already been migrated?  (Assuming users log
in via some protocol that sends the plain text password (hopefully
over SSL/TLS), but I think that's necessary with shadow passwords
anyway).

If so, that will at least get all the users that log in while you're
running the custom PAM module.  Of course there would probably be
users that don't log in during that time period, but you should get
most active users that way and the rest can contact the helpdesk for
manual migration.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>